OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. OpenSea is an open, inclusive web3 platform, where individuals can come to explore NFTs and connect with each other to purchase and sell NFTs. At OpenSea, we’re excited about building a platform that supports a brand new economy based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator’s #4 ranked top private company.
When hiring candidates, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, grow rapidly, and love our work. We also know how critical it is to celebrate and support our differences. Employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions enables our employees, our product and our community to flourish. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. To help facilitate this, we support remote, hybrid or onsite work at either New York City, San Francisco or the Silicon Valley for the majority of our opportunities.
We are looking for someone who is scrappy, flexible, able to problem solve and get things done, and has a love of learning. You will be an early member of our Legal team and will have key roles in product counseling and compliance matters. The ideal candidate is a collaborative team player who is passionate about NFTs and blockchain technology and happiest in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment.
What you’ll do:
- Provide product, operations, and community teams guidance on day-to-day issues, as well as foundational legal issues without clear solutions
- Help identify and execute (through our partners in Trust & Safety, Product, ENG, or directly in Legal) solutions to help mitigate key areas of legal risk
- Provide legal and compliance advice on the development, improvement, and maintenance of risk management programs, particularly in the areas of securities, sanctions, and money laundering
- Assist with law enforcement and regulatory matters
- Keep abreast of quickly developing legal landscape to forecast and head off challenges for rapidly scaling business
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
Who you are:
- 7+ years of legal experience
- Experience providing legal and compliance advice across a variety of legal issues (securities, sanctions, and/or anti-money laundering experience a plus)
- Experience devising or implementing processes and controls designed to mitigate legal risk
- Strong risk assessment and execution skills
- Track record of collaborative partnership with lawyers and non-lawyers to solve problems and get things done
- Juris doctor from an accredited law school
- Member of a US state bar in good standing
- In-house experience at high-growth, technology, or web3 company
- Experience with crypto or web3 products or platforms
- Relevant government or regulatory experience