OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. OpenSea is an open, inclusive web3 platform, where individuals can come to explore NFTs and connect with each other to purchase and sell NFTs. At OpenSea, we’re excited about building a platform that supports a brand new economy based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator’s #4 ranked top private company.
When hiring candidates, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, grow rapidly, and love our work. We also know how critical it is to celebrate and support our differences. Employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions enables our employees, our product and our community to flourish. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. To help facilitate this, we support remote, hybrid or onsite work at either New York City, San Francisco or the Silicon Valley for the majority of our opportunities.
OpenSea is looking for entrepreneurial Blockchain Data Scientists to work closely with the Marketplace Product & Engineering team. You’ll help us build a high-quality, data-informed primary drop launchpad for creators as well as the most liquid secondary marketplace. You’ll help us drive order optimization, management, and matching in a high-integrity way that helps our buyers, creators, and sellers all achieve their goals while maintaining strong customer outcomes.
The ideal candidate will be deeply passionate about data & crypto and have the desire to deploy pioneering solutions against large-scale problems. We are seeking candidates who are excited about wearing multiple hats and working closely with engineering and product to bring real solutions to market on fast timeframes, rapidly iterating from imperfect MVP through experimentation and development.
- Measure the liquidity and business impact of all the features the marketplace team ships to ensure best-in-class buyer, seller, and creator experience
- Drive team and company understanding of supply, demand, and competitive dynamics in our marketplace, across all verticals and chains
- Build and iterate data scoring systems and products that will equip OpenSea and our partner creators with a next-level understanding of how to plan and execute a successful drop, curate and respond to their communities and grow their web3 footprint over time
- Work with business teams to continuously refine, and improve the systems to cater to ever-changing OpenSea needs
- Be a true degen with a deep understanding of OpenSea’s business and the larger NFT marketplace
- Have your ear to the ground and be able to consult on external market dynamics that can help teams all over the company be data-informed in adapting to the ever-changing market
- Be obsessive about data quality and familiar with tools like Etherscan, Dune, and Nansen to be able to ensure the accuracy of your work
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone who is excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of experience in data science, with a strong quantitative background and specific experience in modeling programmatic buying exchanges; and/or forecasting for traditional marketplaces; and/or consumer product classification; and/or personalization and recommendation systems.
- Experience in SQL, Python, Airflow, Mode, and Spark; bonus points for experience with Dune Analytics, Nansen, or other web3 analytics tools like DefiLlama
- Experience communicating effectively up, down, and sideways across the company, with thoughtfulness around optimizing asynchronous communication and tailoring communication to different preferred styles
- Strong cross-functional skills and ability to operate under ambiguous and fast-moving problem spaces
- (Nice to have) Bonus points for web3 experience, a love for the community, and/or a degen portfolio
- (Nice to have) Humility, humor, curiosity, resourcefulness and a relentless drive to grow and learn
The base salary for this full-time position, which spans across multiple internal levels depending on qualifications, ranges between $130,000 to $255,000 plus benefits & equity.